Travel supermarket are challenging myself and 9 other blogger's to pack a hand-luggage-only case (remain calm) for a city break away.
My destination was New York City, somewhere we’ve actually been saving for in the hope to visit this year… but probably next.
Packing only hand luggage is something I’ve become quite adapt to after years of "long distant relationship" travel. What does strike fear in me … it’s NYC, What am I going to do with all the clothes I buy?!
I’m slightly obsessed with denim at the moment, but who isn’t right? Giving it a retro Americana vibe - for my trip to NYC of course. I have picked 4 key denim pieces that can be reworked in lots of different ways just by swapping your accessories around.
Tips for Packing light
- Wear your jacket travelling, this is most likely going to take up the most room, so let's just leave that out to save space for the goodies.
- Make up – only bring your favourite items, you don’t need all those different shades of foundation really? Small items like liptick will let you dress up a more casual look for the evening.
- Backpacks are perfect because they usually can fold down if you need them to put them in your case or they can be stuffed full of extra bits that you can’t fit in. They’re also perfect for a day out shopping when you need a little hands free.
Flares are huge this season and you can’t go wrong with a staple pair of jeans for a weekend away. Dressed up or down, I could also wear them with my T-shirt and converse. Here I've went all out 70's with platform shoes and a crazy clutch.
Tips for packing light
- I think the key to packing is mix and match … if you can't wear that top at least two other ways then it can’t come. Like this simple off the shoulder top. White goes with everything and if the mood takes me I can wear it with my skirt or dungarees.
- Socks/pants/accessories all go into shoes, hats or any small spaces at the end!
- You are allowed a pair of shoes that go with EVERYTHING and because I think I will be doing a lot of sight seeing I think trainers are going to be the one. Then I pack one pair of sassy heels for the evenings.
- Hats are a lot more robust than you would think. As an avid wearer of a big floppy hats you will find they can be set in last and bounce back into shape once worn.
This dress is perfect because it’s one of those items that can give you lots of different looks. For instance you could unbutton it and have it as a jacket for over your jeans and top – Hello double denim! Also what's a trip to America without a fries bag?!
- Clutch bags are the best choice for maximising luggage space, simply pop each bag inside the other. You can bring as many as you like as long as they all fit into the biggest.
- Any space that remains should be for the basics, a white tee, perhaps a big scarf that could double as a jacket for the evenings or even some lightweight shorts or trousers.
- Neck scarves/jewellery/clutch bags/lipstick are all things that can change up the look of an outfit, even if you had it on the day before.
- Lastly. Don't forget your underwear! (been there) BUT it does give you a good excuse to go shopping! :)
I hope you like my outfits of choice for NYC and some helpful tips on packing light! Be sure to check out all the other bloggers via #CityBreakStyle.